Site Search


Monday, July 3, 2017 - 1:06 PM
Share |

Peel Thunder have secured a frantic two point win against the Claremont Tigers despite rainy conditions at Bendigo Bank Stadium on Saturday.

In a tight final term the Thunder managed to avoid a draw by scoring two points in the closing minutes to win 8.2 (53) to 6.15 (51).

Peel Thunder’s Bradley Walsh said the group came out prepared for the wet weather.   
“The main focus was to keep the ball going forward; just giving our forwards every chance to get their hands on the ball,” he said. 

The Thunder were accurate in the first quarter converting four goals through Matthew Taberner, Zavier Williams, Gerald Ugle and Calvin Thorne resulting in a nine-point lead.

The Thunder extended their margin to 23 points during the second quarter, only allowing the Tigers to score just one point.

Walsh praised the Thunder’s defence for keeping the Tigers goalless during the second term.  “I think our whole defence held up really well today, they all did quite well down there,” he said.   “We really utilised them down the back and they held up really strong for us.”

The Tigers fought back during the third quarter, kicking three goals and keeping the Thunders scoreless.  Walsh said momentum from the first half slowed as the team moved away from their successful game style.  “In the first half we were just hitting the ball really hard and focusing on our KPIs; which were ground balls and clearances,” he said.

The Thunder redeemed themselves in the fourth term with Michael Tassone and Cam Sutcliffe both kicking goals before Ben Hancock and Shane Kersten scored the winning minors.   Walsh said coach Cam Shepard’s advice in after the third quarter was to keep focussing on all the elements the Thunder were doing well in the first half.  “It was all about focusing on those simple footy things you can do, like tackling and getting first hands on the ball,” he said.  

Traye Bennell played a strong game with 19 disposals, Walsh said his efforts were very beneficial.  “He’s got such great skills and we try to utilise him as much as possible when he’s out there,” he said.  Walsh said the club will have to work hard to prepare for next week’s game against West Perth.   “We’ve got a bit of momentum on for the moment so we just have to keep that rolling and just focus on the simple things that have been done really well at the moment,” he said.  “Doing all those things well puts you in the best stead to take out another win next week.”

Following the victory the Thunders continue to hold onto third place on the ladder with eight wins.   Peel Thunder will face West Perth at the HBF Arena on July 8 at 2.15pm, with League Coach Cam Shepard Coaching his 100th Game for Peel Thunder Foootball Club.

Next home game at Bendigo Bank Stadium is 22nd July v Subiaco and is FREE ENTRY ALL DAY, sponsored by McDonalds Mandurah, Greenfields and Lakelands.

Written by Karina Vakil