Site Search


Wednesday, September 6, 2017 - 10:44 AM
Share |

League Match Report
Written by: Dan Const   Photo: Michael Roberts

Peel Thunder will progress to an all-important semi final next week after defeating South Fremantle by 18 points at Fremantle Community Bank Oval on Saturday.
The Thunder showed composure and staved off a late comeback by the Bulldogs to secure the win, with the final score 12.8 (80) to 9.8 (62).
Peel’s Aaron Naughton said the team rallied together for the win and was happy with the result.  “We knew South Fremantle were going to throw everything they had at us and they did… so it was a great win,” he said.
The Thunder came out strong kicking three first quarter goals, while the Bulldogs finished the opening term, kicking two goals of their own.  In a tightly contested second quarter the Thunder notched another three majors to take a 17-point lead into the half.
Naughton said coach Cam Shepherd commended the team on their effort so far but urged them to keep working.   “Switch on again and bring that effort again like we did at the start of that first quarter and I think we did that,” he said.
Leroy Jetta kicked his second goal in the third term as the Thunder started to build a commanding lead.   Naughton said Jetta is crucial to the Thunder’s forward line.   “He’s obviously played at the highest level and knows all the tricks of the trade,” he said.  “He’s very good around goal and he finishes strong, so if we can get the ball in his hands it’s most likely going through the middle.”
As the Thunder took a 32-point lead into the fourth quarter, it looked as if the game was in their grasp until the Bulldogs began to fight back kicking four unanswered goals.
Peel Thunder captain Gerald Ugle would respond kicking his third goal of the game to seal the victory.  Naughton said Ugle is a focal point for the team and praised his talents.   “We know he’s got some serious wheels and he’s got some good skills so we want the ball in his hands as well,” he said.
Rory O’Brien had another stand out performance with 23 disposals.  Naughton said O’Brien played hard and fought to win the hard contests.  “He’s just a bull around the contest and we can always rely on him to bring the effort,” he said.
Peel Thunder will take on the Subiaco Lions next week at Leederville Oval on Sunday September 9 in a semi final.