WAFL Wrap: Spirited Thunder fall short

Wednesday, April 10, 2024 - 1:50 PM

WAFL Wrap: Spirited Thunder fall short
By Ronan Fitzgerald and Smiley Mettam, Curtin University


A contested affair saw Subiaco overcome Peel Thunder by 26 points.  


A sun-soaked Sullivan Logistics Stadium on Sunday hosted the Thunder as they suffered their first loss of the 2024 WAFL season.


Both sides arrived with intensity and pressure, leading to an early stalemate between the arcs. Hugh Davies (seven disposals, two marks) proved hard to beat with two early intercept marks.


Poor execution and a moment of ill-discipline cost Peel the first two goals, before an outstanding mark and conversion from Ben Middleton steadied the ship. 


Peel struggled to turn inside-50 entries into goals and were made to pay on the rebound, with the Lions heading into the first break with a 15-point lead.


The Peel midfield got to work early in the second term. Liam Reidy (49 hitouts, six tackles) began to assert his physical dominance, setting the tone for Peel to take control of the game.


In a welcome change from the first quarter, the damage was done on the scoreboard.


Corey Tragenza kicked the first before Reidy combined with Cooper Simpson (10 disposals, one goal) in a textbook stoppage goal to bring the visitors within a kick.


Another goal from Nathan Wilson saw Peel’s quarter-time deficit erased in a matter of mere minutes.


Subiaco responded with attacking pressure of their own, but Peel’s defence held strong, led by Heath Chapman & Jacob Blight.


The teams traded goals throughout the middle of the quarter, though neither could wrestle momentum as the margin remained less than a goal either way.


Jack DeLean (one goal, five tackles) threatened to be the X-factor with glimpses of his rapid running abilities and athleticism. 


Peel’s hard work came undone in the shadows of half-time, with two late Subiaco goals regaining the home side’s lead and taking them into the main break with a nine-point advantage.


The second half started similarly to the first, as both midfields continued their battle of attrition. 


Subiaco finally broke the deadlock and threatened to blow the game away with consecutive goals through the middle of the third term opening a game-high 20-point lead. 


Peel’s forward pressure lifted, and they reaped the rewards as Corey Tregenza took advantage of a risky switch-kick to convert his second of the game, and more importantly, keep the Thunder in touch heading into the final term.


Tempers flared early in the fourth quarter, but the Lions kept their cool for the all-important first goal. 


Jack Sears responded at the other end to give Peel hope, but they continued to rue wasted chances inside 50. 


A late miracle was not to be for the Thunder, as Subiaco iced the game with two more late goals to run out 26-point winners.


Peel will have the chance to bounce back off a six-day break when they face East Perth at Lane Group Stadium on Saturday 13 April. 


Subiaco: 4.1 7.3 9.6 14.8 (92)

Peel Thunder: 1.4 5.6 6.8 9.12 (66)



Subiaco: 3 J Mayo, B Sokol, 2 R Bartlett, 1 R Borchett, G Clark, L Foley, B Golding, L Hickmott, L Kitchin

Peel Thunder: 2 J Sears, C Tregenza, 1 J DeLean, B Middleton, C Simpson, B Wemm, N Wilson